Moore Travel Blog

Time To Travel...


  • Laws on Children & Passports and Traveling From United States to Mexico

    3/14/2011 3:17:01 PM Link |  | Add comment

    • U.S. citizens under the age of 18 must comply with additional laws when traveling to Mexico. While a U.S. passport is required for travel by air to Mexico and a passport card is sufficient for entry by land or sea, minors must have the documented permission of any absent parent. Before heading south of the border, be certain that you have everything you need to travel with your child, to avoid any unnecessary delays while traveling.
      he Law
    • Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian who isn't traveling with the child to or from Mexico. The purpose of the law is to reduce child abductions, often committed by a parent or relative.
    • Written Permission

      Written permission should include the name of the parent, name of the child, name(s) of anyone traveling with the child, notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s), travel dates, destinations, airlines and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel.

    • Proof of Relationship

      In addition to the parent or guardian's written permission, you must provide proof of the relationship between the minor child and the absent parent. A birth certificate or court document with a custody decree counts as proof of relationship. Please note that a passport doesn't include parents' names and can't be used as proof of relationship.
    • Original Documents

    • Both written permission and proof of relationship must be original documents. Photocopies and scanned or faxed copies are not acceptable.

Online Agency Travel Websites